Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ball, ball, and more ball!



Ryte keeps us busy going to and from ballfields. I knew from the first few years that he had a love for ball.He would never sit to watch cartoons on the television. The only way I could get him to even look at the T.V. was to turn it to ESPN. Still today, he is constantly tossing,throwing, kicking, or bouncing a ball.Inside the house or outside. It makes no difference to him. I say over and over, "Ryte, stop throwing that in the house! Quit kicking that against the wall! Can you not just sit there without a ball in your hand?" It's not uncommon to be watching a show and see a ball go back an forth in front of the television screen. Many times Ricky will be sitting in the recliner and Ryte will run toward the stairs, and look back for his dad to throw him a pass. I could go on and on, but you probably get the picture.
I have tried so many times to buy him matchbox cars, Legos, Lincoln logs, you name it. I cannot get him to play with anything but a ball! Well I take that back; he will play any "sports related" Playstation game. I'm happy though. He works really hard at whatever sport he is playing.His favorite verse is Joshua1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." When he's struggling on the field, I yell out, "one nine Ryte" and he knows to remember to be strong and God is with him. It's amazing what can happen on a ballfield. I am watching him learn so many life skills that it took me years to learn. Many of those skills, I still have to work on today.You see... I have NEVER played any sport(you wouldn't want to even see me try.) I was always afraid to try something new if I didn't think I could do it perfect. I was also always afraid to make new friends and step out of my comfort zone. I believe that held me back from experiencing life a little. I want my kids to try new things and never be afraid of making mistakes. I want them to make friends easily and know how to work together for a common goal.I am so blessed to get to watch Ryte learn all these skills at an early age. Although I get tired of ALWAYS having to be somewhere, and I fuss about the constant ball throwing, I'm happy that I am able to witness how he is growing through this.

1 comment: